Tour Belterra Cohousing on Bowen Island, Hosted by Lost Lake Cohousing
Sept. 11, 2022. Noon PT | Bowen Island, BC
Check out Lost Lake Cohousing!
Tour of Belterra Cohousing and meet up with members of the cohousing to discuss successes and challenges of creating a community on a steep slope with ocean views.
Tour a cohousing to see how architecture can support an intentional community.
Lost Lake Cohousing is a developing cohousing community on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. We are developing the design and construction plans for our three forested acres in North Nanaimo at 5180 Universal Place. We purchased the land on June 30, 2022 and are working with an architect and pre-construction services.
We are looking for new members to help shape the culture of our community and experience the excitement of seeing the community being built. Our common denominator is that we all share a desire to live in a neighbourhood that fosters an active and supportive community lifestyle with families, singles and seniors, and we are committed to protecting the natural beauty and environmental health of our pristine site. We plan to share and enjoy many meals together in our common house.
From the past design workshops, we worked to fit the needs to the site to include covered parking, bike storage, glamping spot, fire pit, forest playground, a trail connecting Universal Place with Dewar Road and Lost Lake Road, guest quarters, gardens, solar, kayak storage, EV chargers, working around large trees, a large common house with a kitchen, dining room and elevator, and more.
Our community so far includes three families with children, a retired farmer mother and scientist daughter who are interested in protecting the environment, a retired fisherman who wants to contribute to a community, business owners from Northern BC who want a community that promotes relationships and interactions while being affordable, a community activist focused on peoples’ lives and the environment, a teacher who excited to develop a shared vision, a retired public servant from Duncan area who wants to age actively. This core group is continuing to work on the community aspects of the project, and is developing a mission and vision statement for the community.
- Sunday, September 11, noon to 3pm at Belterra Cohousing, 726 Belterra Rd, Bowen Island, BC V0N 1G2
- RSVP to https://calendly.com/amistocoho/belterra
- 3pm – Raw land site tours at 5180 Universal Ave. We walk the 3 acre site, chit-chat, and answer any questions which extends it to about an hour. RSVP to email@example.com
Tuesday zoom calls – targeting the second and four week every month
- 5pm – intro to multigenerational cohousing and Lost Lake Cohousing in particular, followed by questions
- 5:30pm or 6pm – project updates, Lost Lake Cohousing community discussion
- RSVP to https://calendly.com/amistocoho/coho-zoom
- September – Compassionate communication
- October – Design Confirmation Workshop – final review of all the elements required for Lost Lake Cohousing, which will be used for submitting a Development Permit from the City of Nanaimo
- November – Sociocracy and governance